New Year Sewing Plans and Tentative Blogging Resurgence

Hi everybody!

I can't believe I haven't blogged since March! I moved house this year which in the build-up and post-move settling in put a big kink in my sewing and blogging, but I'm amazed I haven't got back into it since now. Anyway, I hope you enjoy my contributions to this little corner of the internet, irregular as they may be!

I've drafted a review of everything I made in 2019 as I did make a fair bit of stuff, but didn't manage to photograph much so I might save posting that until I get some pics. So to kick off and ease me in here are my plans for sewing in 2020!




Victory Patterns Trina Dress in Lady McElroy Orange Blossom Linen

 I bought this pattern a few years ago and made it up as a birthday present for a friend. Now I want to do the same for myself, as it'll be my birthday in a few weeks. It's a relatively easy pattern (apart from handling the weight of all that skirt!) and I have it traced in my friend's measurements which aren't too dissimilar from my own. I even kept a bodice muslin so will try that on, see if it needs any tweaks, then get cracking! The only thing I'm a little annoyed about is that I didn't open out my beautiful fabric when I prewashed it so there are some wash lines running vertically down the centre. Hopefully I can cut around it but it's such a thoughtless error I should have known to avoid!




Named Breaking the Pattern Solina Dress in Floral Peachskin

I've actually made three Ruska dresses from the Breaking the Pattern book (which I got as a present last Christmas), all different variations and worn frequently, but blogged never! I'll have to do a batch post once I feel like posing for photos. Loads of people have made the Solina dress and I think it looks fabulous on everyone. I'm hoping the fabric I've chosen makes for an interesting day dress - I just have to trace the pattern and do my usual modification check on getting a good FBA that also caters for my smaller upper chest and narrow shoulders.



Paper Theory Zadie Jumpsuit in black linen

Another hugely popular pattern that looks good on everyone! I tried to resist it for a while as I thought I could mash up my own version or try out the jumpsuit from Gertie Sews Vintage Casual (which I still plan to do at some stage but isn't very straightforward). But as Christmas rolled around again I figured that sometimes it's just nice to have the work done for you, and after a few recent stop/start projects I'm looking forward to an easier sew which should fit nicely into my everyday wardrobe. I decided to try out getting this printed in A0 professionally for the first time via the Foldline, but as they have been shut for the Christmas break I have to wait a little while for delivery, which is frustrating when I have a nice chunk of time off to sew!




Closet Case Cielo Top in stash Liberty cotton lawn

This is another pattern I was drawn to but didn't buy initially as I figured I had similar patterns I could modify. Again, lack of time to tinker and Christmas being a great excuse to justify being gifted anything I was holding back on, I received this as a present and sent to be A0 printed along with my Zadie. Hoping for a nice instant gratification sew that will use up some long-stashed fabric! The image above shows a Goldhawk Road haul from 2014 I think - happily all the other fabrics have been used now (although the polka dot drill I only made up a couple of months ago) but the purple floral lawn (second from clockwise) I held onto until I perfected the fit for the Anna dress which I haven't yet done, plus I didn;t actually buy enough fabric to make it and it's a bit lightweight! So I'm happy that the right pattern has now come along to use it up with. I'm planning on making the top version of the Cielo with big bouffy sleeves!




Fibre Mood Carmella Jumpsuit - Fabrication undecided

I love Shauni from The Magnificent Thread's version of this jumpsuit and when Fibre Mood had a 5 PDF for €15 pattern sale I dove in and went for it! I don't have the PDF printed yet nor have I decided the fabric - I might use black linen or lightweight denim for this, I'm not sure I have anything in the stash that would be suitable.

There are loads more lovely patterns I've been bookmarking and dreaming up, but I'm going to commit to these five for now and see how I get on. Hopefully I'll get around to posting the results in good time too!

Until next time, Happy New Year and happy sewing!

NorseOtter xx







Comments