La Maison Victor Solange and Some Thoughts on Sewing Magazines




Hello! These aren't the greatest photos and this isn't the greatest look for me to be honest, but I felt I needed to get this dress blogged so here we are!

A few weeks ago I made the Solange Dress from the first edition of La Maison Victor to be published in the UK (back in July 2017 I believe?). I was quite excited about making this dress; I even took an instagram snap of my project materials artfully gathered together ready for sewing, but the end result is decidedly 'meh' for me.


© La Maison Victor
I decided to copy to look of the sample garment and cut into some stripy ponte bought in Japan (I also squeezed out a Burda top with the remnants here). However, what I decided to ignore at the time but can see plainly now is that even on the model the pockets add unwanted bulk around the middle, and on my less-than-lithe midsection that unflattering effect is even more pronounced. I've barely worn the dress since I made it because I feel so self-conscious in it.


I don't think it's a very flattering cut, but I'm sure I didn't get the fit quite right either. My measurements put me in body size 14, with my upper bust at 12 and full bust at 16. I did a bit of blending between sizes at the front but made the back 14 all over, but decided to do a bit of finangling with the sleeves so that they would fit into the armscye after the alterations. I’m not sure this worked too well as the sleeves like to crease when wearing, and the bust darts sit too high for me (although this does seem to be where they’re designed to sit from the line drawings, but it just looks a bit silly on me).


The pattern has a gently shaped back seam which I nearly missed when cutting out, but I could have used this to get a closer fit for my sway back.  The centre back seam is to allow you to insert an exposed zip, which ended up being a fussy process because I couldn't quite work out the instructions so just guessed it and left off the ribbon facing step.

To be honest I wish I hadn't bothered with it at all, as it creates wobbles in my seam and back neckline, but I have a habit of doggedly following the instructions sometimes even if I don't really want the finished result. Maybe it feels like cheating not to do it? I also feel that sometimes you have to face your fears in sewing and conquer tricky steps, or you'll spend all your time avoiding certain processes. That said, this didn't turn out great and I wish I'd practised on a sample instead!




You can't see in these photos but one small gripe about my cutting out of this dress is that I didn't think about stripe-matching the pockets, and I easily could have with the amount of fabric I had. I just thought they'd never be seen, so wanted to conserve as much leftover fabric for another project as possible. But actually the pockets do gape when sitting down so lack of matching is really obvious.

Again, as with the zip, realistically the pockets probably take away more than they add to the look of the garment so the easiest option would be to leave them off altogether! I have my hands in them in most of these pictures as that's the only way to keep them under control - otherwise you're forever smoothing them down to prevent your hips looking even lumpier than normal!




This was one of those projects that ends up being a lot more complex than it might seem at first glance. For starters I had a few headscratching moments where I couldn’t quite tell what the instructions were asking me to do. I guess something got lost in translation sewing-speak wise but I finally realised that ‘add a stitch next to the seam’ meant ‘add a line of stitching’ which meant ‘understitch’. Got there in the end!

I didn’t find it very fun to make either as I was expecting an easy palate-cleanser of a make but the instructions had a lot of fussy treatments and markings, more like what you’d expect from a woven garment than a simple semi-fitted t-shirt dress. Some of the processes really went awry - for example I found sewing the recommended woven neck binding around the ponte neckline made my twin needle skip stitches right where the topstitching is most visible! 


I've only worn this dress a couple of times since I made it, and I'm not sure if I'll keep it as it doesn't make me feel good. It's a shame to waste nice fabric that I bought on holiday, but it wasn't expensive and it's not unique so at least I have that consolation. I have more Japanese fabric in lovely traditional prints, but I'll take this as a lesson that I need to match them more carefully with the garment patterns and make a toile first to avoid disappointment!

If you've read this far through my rant, thank you! I'm sure we've all been there with projects that just don't work out. There were some other patterns I quite liked in that issue of La Maison Victor but I'll take a break before going back to see if they're worth toile-ing through. I haven't bought any subsequent issues.

I used to love sewing magazines, but nowadays I'm a lot more selective and only buy if there are at least two patterns I'd consider making, and usually this means going straight for Burda. There isn't much in the way of written editorial in Burda (usually just one article, giving context for a special pattern) which is a shame as I do love to read about sewing - that's why I still blog and enjoy reading others' blogs!

However I prefer it to buying the other sewing magazines like Love Sewing or Simply Sewing which have fewer patterns (that are less to my taste) as a lot of their editorial seems to be repurposed from other sewists' blogs that I'd have read for free online anyway! La Maison Victor seems to combine the weak spots of both magazines - as few patterns as Love Sewing et al plus the lack of written content that Burda has. I'm not saying I wouldn't buy it again, but it'd only be if the patterns were truly inspiring.

What are your thoughts on sewing magazines? Do you subscribe or pick and choose? Or avoid altogether?

NorseOtter xx




Comments

  1. Hi Elinor, I like your dress but if you don't feel comfortable in it then it won't get much wear regardless if people say they like it. I have given up buying sewing magazines about a year ago for the reasons you've said. A lot of the patterns I wouldn't wear and the content is regurgitation from the internet. I would love to buy them and enjoy them with a cuppa but to be honest I prefer to read blogs. Sadly fewer people are writing them compared to when I first discovered them. Anyway, I always enjoy yours and love seeing what you make. Thanks, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, Thanks for reading and thanks for the kind words about the dress - maybe next Spring I'll give it another look and re-evaluate. Definitely with you on blogs, but it's a shame there aren't as many blog writers out there any more, and a lot of them have converted to pattern companies, which makes sense but changes the vibe.

      Delete
  2. Shame about the pattern! I'm honestly not a fan of La Maison Voctor and don't understand why so many people go crazy over it- all the patterns I've ever made from them either had mistakes in the pattern itself or the instructions, and the fit was always way off. I vastly prefer Burda because at least their drafting is decent, even if the styling isn't as coffee table-worthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Burda has some great stuff even if sometimes the presentation is a bit naff. Thanks for reading - loving seeing your handmade outfits on your travels recently!

      Delete
  3. Hi Elinor,
    I bought the same magazine because everyone was raving about it but, like you, wished there was some written editorial. While I look through the latest edition each month, I've only bought one as there otherwise haven't been enough good patterns to justify the expense. Don't give up on edition 1 though as, if the Dolores is your style, it is an absolute winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do really like the Dolores actually - that's another pattern I hoped would be a palate-cleanser so it's good to get your stamp of approval! Thanks for reading x

      Delete
  4. Hi! I haven’t used these patterns so your blog was helpful. I think the dress looks pretty on you-have you considered shortening the dress an inch? I’m looking at the pictures and I’m wondering if you might like the style more? It’s a shame because I know if aren’t comfortable in it you’ll never wear it. You still did a great job and it’s very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for such an interesting and thought provoking post. I enjoy reading sewing magazines on the whole, but do get disappointed sometimes at the "same old content" feeling, particularly one instance recently when the exact same article was printed in two different magazines. I know they are published under the same umbrella but a bit crazy not to consider they may have subscribers to both magazines! A bit cheap feeling. I do still enjoy them generally though, in addition to reading lots of blogs. Threads magazine still stands out for the sheer brilliance and quality of its content. Which reminds me I must renew my just lapsed subscription!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been getting a lot of recommendations for Threads magazine, I'll definitely be seeking it out. Maybe the sewing magazine market (in the UK at least) is too focused on beginners, or trying to be all things to all people? I loved them at first but now my sewing has progressed they're just not as inspiring. Will be using your recommendation, thanks!

      Delete
  6. Hi Elinor
    Well I may be considerably older but certainly not much wiser regarding my slavish following of pattern instructions (and frustration over poorly written and often missing ones). Would you be able to remove the pockets and sew up the side seams, getting rid of the bulk and the mismatched stripes. And perhaps chop off the bottom to tunic length? Under a long cardi it would then still be useful during the colder months. I have to say I agree whole heartedly about sewing magazines and home magazines are not much better as they seem to reprint whole sections of books which many people would have bought anyway! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think removing the pockets would probably make a big difference to how the dress sits on my body, so even though I love to have somewhere to jam my hands so I can hang around looking louche I think it may be the thing that rescues the dress! Thanks for reading x

      Delete
  7. Have you tried Threads? It has wonderful articles on design, designers, unusual techniques, fitting, etc. I have learned so very much over the years from this magazine. I think it sets the bar. No patterns included. It doesn't need them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely going to check it out! It's not stocked anywhere near me which is why I haven't picked it up before, but I've heard so many good things that I will make an effort to track it down. I love feeding my curiosity about sewing and sadly most magazines fall short and there are fewer blogs these days that scratch that itch. Thanks for the recommendation! x

      Delete

Post a Comment