I have a twofer for you today!
I'm wearing my second (but certainly not last) pair of Lander Pants and a modified Mimi G Simplicity 1283 Turtleneck. Both of these projects are kind of old (turtleneck finished in March, and Landers in June) but have done solid wardrobe duty and tick off some #MakeNine aims so deserve their own post!
Here I am wearing my newly finished Mimi G turtleneck in Japan (paired with my first Lander Pants) back in March.
A quick #MakeNine update: I've nearly finished my Mimi G Simplicity 1283 flares and have a Marilla Walker Isca shirtdress (rather than shirt) cut out. The only projects remaining on my plan are my FehrTrade cycling gear which I'm not sure I'll get around to now, and think it might be too unseasonal to make the ruffle tee (although maybe if I make in something fancy it could be a festive top?).
The turtleneck I'm proud to say is a #SewingLeftovers project using jersey remaining from my gift t-shirt making kick last year. I made a few modifications - I removed the zip from the back neck for personal preference reasons (plus I'm rubbish at inserting zips neatly into jersey).
Also I didn't want the cropped length so blended from waist down with the free SBCC Tonic Tee (which I've never actually made up). The top still came up a little short (I believe SBCC is drafted for petites, and I'm a very average height of 5ft6) but it's a decent length for tucking in. I also had to make shorter sleeves due to fabric limitations, but I'm generally a fan of half and 3/4 length sleeve styles.
I didn't have the easiest time in terms of sizing with this pattern - my measurements landed me in the middle but I bought the larger size range pack due to reviews that the pattern came up quite tight. I picked my size for the top based on my bust measurement but the shoulders and neckline came out large on me, and I ended up gradually trimming bits off and fitting as I went til I sized down to smallest size in pack.
This is better but not perfect, and despite still being a bit big in the neck and shoulders might now be a bit tight across the chest. I prefer to double over the roll of the turtleneck to make is sit a bit tighter and balance the proportions.
The Lander Pants are made from denim purchased in Nippori Fabric Town in Tokyo. I took the obligatory tourist shot of course and ended up with with loads of great fabric, but I've not dared cut into the beautiful traditionally-pattern stuff yet.
I don't think the denim is bought is actually Japanese though sadly. The colourway was inspired by Helen's version (although is not a very faithful colour copy!), and I went for high contrast topstitching but hope this doesn't come across as IKEA branded...Luckily I had a very close match of regular thread for the tricky areas like buttonholes that my vintage machine can't handle in topstitching thread.
I was intending to make the cropped version of these kecks but on trying them on I liked the unhemmed length and embraced the fraying.
I made a slight error when grading waistband seams and was worried I'd weakened the seam that was keeping my trews up by cutting too close to the stitching. I decided to freestyle some reinforcing stitches from the outside to strengthen these areas. I tried to make them look like intentional distressing but actually they blend in pretty well and hopefully they'll continue to hold up!
I love this version almost as much as my first pair (although I think maybe my black version is a little more flattering around the stomach). They've certainly had a lot of wear and I'm keen to make the full-length version in a burgundy or forest green at some point.
I'll leave you with a shot of the rear fit. I've not made any modifications to this pattern for fit, although maybe I should get realistic and add some room for my belly for the next version. I might also add a line of edgestitching close to the button fly to reinforce that area as it does pull when I sit down.
Until next time,