Fibre Mood Carmella Jumpsuit






 Hello! How is everyone holding up? 

According to the timestamp I took the nearly-completed WIP shot on May 25, and it's now late-December! I genuinely thought the being-at-home-all-the-time aspect of lockdown (and the not lockdown but basically still lockdown tier-systems) meant that I'd become more of a regular blogger, but this year has thrown many surprises and hurdles in my path. 



Anyway, onto the jumpsuit, which is a Fibre Mood Carmella. I bought a batch of 5 Fibre Mood PDF patterns back at the start of the year during a special 5 patterns for €15 deal and sent them off to be printed on A0 and was a bit disappointed when they came back to discover that, even in A0 format parts of the pattern are overlapped and needed tracing off! Very frustrating and a bit disappointing - I expect all the patterns are formatted for the magazine insert and they don't make any changes when making them available as single patterns to the customer, but for the price (which is £6.50 per pattern at non-sale rates) I expect better. 

As it was quite a while ago I don't remember having any issues with the instructions, other than the grainline for the binding strip on the sleeve slit being straight of grain when you really need to cut it on the bias. I sort of knew this but still cut it out as instructed, only to have to recut - luckily they're small pieces. I am someone who always follows along even though I've got 6 years of sewing experience under my belt now! My fabric didn't behave perfectly when I was making the front placket so there's a tiny bit of bulk where I misaligned the folds on the inside, but easily fixed with more care and less handling of loose-woven fabric next time! 



The only deviation I made was to add these little strips above the pockets, which were inspired by an old military-esque Doc Martens jumper I've had since I was 15 and still wear. I think I cut the belt loops on the fold instead of as a single layer so had twice as much as I needed, and decided to put them to good use as the breast pockets looked a little small and the proportions weren't working on my larger chest. So having this little extra strip not only makes a handy and secure pen holder (I've sewn down sections of it at random intervals to create useful pen-sized/ sunglass arm-size sections) but visually improves the proportions and breaks up my chest a bit more. 

On the belt loops, I think I actually placed mine a bit too low for me, especially at centre back, as my belt always dips down in that area. Next time I would lower them a fraction, and also narrow the belt - perhaps in half, as it ends up creased in half anyway from being forced to crumple by the curves of my body. Being an hourglass shape with a belly all my waistbands end up folding in on themselves. I do wear this belted all the time as it's very loose without and I prefer having the definition. I think it looks fine on my shape except the back view - I might consider raising the back crotch next time so that the jumpsuit hugs my booty rather than hangs down from it, because as someone with a sticky-out rear there's a lot of volume in the back leg and the shape gets lost. I get this problem with my bust too, I think I need princess seams for my bottom! 

I sewed up my jumpsuit in olive green linen from Simply Fabrics which has now faded to a lighter greyish-green and softened up due to so much wear! It's a decent match for the jumpsuit but I did trim my collar points a bit too close to the seamline and it's threatening to fray - linen really is a bit too loose-woven not to have a decent amount of seam allowance. 





As it's quite lightweight it's been a great transitional piece that has seen me through the cooler summer days and into autumn, and now layered up with a polo-neck underneath for winter. Above are a couple of pics of it 'out in the wild' when we were able to take a short getaway to Rye in late August, where the weather was very changeable. I was really tempted to make myself another one for the hotter days this summer with the sleeves left off or, as they're already quite dropped shoulders, adapted into grown-on cuffed sleeves. Maybe I'll still do that next summer.


Would I recommend this pattern? There are so many lovely jumpsuits out there! However if you're after the slightly oversized mechanic's coveralls look (which I quite like, having become more into workwear styles and more comfortable clothes this year) then it's a winner for the price. Just be aware you will need to trace some sections of this PDF! If you're larger-busted I would recommend making the breast pockets a bit bigger. I imagine that this style is unisex too as I couldn't detect any noticeable shaping for breasts and the waist is created with the belt. I don't like the unbelted look on me at all but have included the pics above for science. 

Thanks for reading and I hope you're all safe and well!

NorseOtter xx




Comments