My (belated) Me Made May '18 Pledge

MMMay18 Day 2 = Deer and Doe Melilot Shirt + Helen's Closet Winslow Culottes


'I, Elinor of @norseotter, sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May '18. I endeavour to wear every item of handmade clothing I can (within reason) during May 2018 and capture a me-made outfit photo every day'

I've been aware of Me Made May (begun by the refreshingly frank and inspirational So Zo) since I began sewing but have never before been able to focus on how I could meaningfully get involved; in the first couple of years it was because I didn't have enough handmade stuff to wear, and in the last couple of years I've had plenty but couldn't think how to make it a challenge as I love wearing what I make all the time! Now I've decided this will be the year to give it a go and see what I learn! As you can see, I've kind of begun before officially signing up! It's the taking part that counts right?



I've decided to make my challenge photo-oriented because for me the hardest thing about sewing and trying to maintain a blog is getting pictures in a timely way. I have both extremes of the problem; sometimes I have a build-up of me-mades and not enough time to capture photos, but once I get caught up I'm not producing "content" fast enough as I don't have as much time to sew as I'd like or my projects are proving trickier than expected. 

#MMMay18 Day 1 = Gertie Sews Vintage Casual Two-Piece

To fit into the Me Made May ethos I will challenge myself with the pure awkwardness of trying to capture a daily outfit photo (it is tough if you're an introvert!), and for the learning portion of the challenge I hope to get a good overview of what I wear and what works for me, what I'm holding onto for sentimental reasons, and what is just worn out at this point!


As the seasons have been so all over the place in the UK over the past few months I expect to need all my summer and winter clothes at once, so at least I'll be able to get a comprehensive overview too. By the end of the month I aim to have piles of keep, donate, repair/ refashion and scrap clothing - which can include RTW as well. I'm posting daily on my @norseotter instagram and plan to do a round-up post of which garments end up in which pile at the end, plus I'm sure loads of new making plans!

I'm looking forward to getting stuck into the challenge and being inspired by all your makes too!

NorseOtter xx





Comments