Gosh it feels an age since I last blogged- the weather was totally different for a start! Very happy that the days are now longer (this will also help me get my finished project photos up quicker, I hope!). I've been gallivanting off on holiday and, while I have been beavering away at a gift project, unfortunately I hadn't quite finished by the recipient's birthday and then said recipient wasn't at a gathering I expected them to be at by the time I'd finished! So it's still sitting in its wrapping paper.
Oh well, it's nice to have got the project out of the way, and although I don't have great photos as these were taking in a rush before wrapping, I don't mind sharing as the person this is intended for is not a huge user of social media so probably won't see it!
|Mimi blouse front|
|Mimi blouse back|
I've now made everything from the book bar the Lilou dress! Now that it's getting summery I'm sure I won't be able to hold out for long, even if it wasn't officially on my list of things to sew for this year (and I keep seeing lovely dress hacks using the Lilou's pleated skirt). Margot (unblogged) and Mimi have been gifts for others although I hope to find time to make versions for myself soon.
Unfortunately as Mimi is still waiting to be received I won't know how well I've done with the fit (always a risk when making a shirt, but I'm hoping the gathered front will mean it works!). The friend I've made it for is a similar size to me, and it fit me fine (although a tad tight on the sleeves, so I hope this isn't an issue for my friend, erk!). And, in super-selfish reasoning, if it doesn't fit her then I can have it! Definitely not be the end of the world for me, as it was hard to part with those zebras, even if I bought them with my friend in mind.
This was my first shirt project and I think I handled it OK! The collar (again, my first) is maybe a bit wrinkly and the facing a bit prominent as the interfacing might have been a bit stiff for the fine fabric (a beautiful lightweight zebra-printed cotton from Simply Fabrics) but I'm hoping with washing it will soften up and lay nice and flat. I'm not sure I handled the curve of the collar perfectly either- but I was originally sewing to a deadline so didn't have time to re-do anything! I had grand plans to make a few test shirts in the form of PJs for myself, but of course didn't end up having the time.
These are also my first buttonholes! It didn't take me long to get the hang of them but they might be a tiny bit tight for the buttons- again, something that should ease up with wash and wear. You can't really see the buttons but they're vintage, from Angus's gran's stash. There are a few more that I hope to use up for myself, they're plain but sweet.
My next gifting project will also be a shirt- I'm making this chicken wax-print (top left- the blue floral at bottom left is going to be my next Megan dress) from Goldhawk Road into a short-sleeved shirt from the Great British Sewing Bee 'Sew Your Own Wardrobe' book for my fella's birthday. I'm working on a couple of 'palate cleanser' projects for myself first though (although these haven't been as simple as expected- more on that in the next post).
Until next time,